Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Chasing the Dragonite

This morning, walking around the 'hood playing Pokemon Go shivering from the cold in my baggy sweatpants and even baggier eyes, I finally find and catch a Scyther. Just 40 metres away, I notice a man in his 30's wearing trackies and a hoodie, just lounging in the area repetitively swiping on his phone. I presumed he was a fellow Pokemon player fighting the gym since he was swiping left & right repetitively, so being in an overly friendly and happy mood, I decided to excitedly approach him:

"Hey you know you can get a Scyther over there?!"

"A-what?" he replies

"A Scyther. It took several berries, but man the buzz you get when you finally get something new you know?!" I beam with a smile "And best of the luck going after the dragon mate [referring to the Gyarados at the gym], it's like over 1500-"
At this point I see his phonescreen and the only app he's swiping on, is a photo album, and I was sorely mistaken:
"-Uh...Nevermind, forget that"

"Um, okay..." 

As I walk away, the fella runs up to me and flashes his badge "I'm actually a cop. You're a local right? Seen any suspicious drug activity lately?"

"Oh! Um, well I've been around this area from 1-2am for the last few nights after work and I haven't really seen anyone around"

"What are you doing here at those hours?" he asks with a quizzical eyebrow

"Not really sure, but yeah catching Pokemon after a busy 10 hour hospital shift sounds about right"

"Oh... yeah nevermind"

Google later reveals that 'Scyther' is slang for marijuana in the Bay area, 'berry' can mean ecstasy, and 'chasing the dragon' refers to smoking opium, or the elusive pursuit of the ultimate high in the usage of some particular drug.

Besides nearly incriminating myself as a local druggie, I guess in a way, I'm in the elusive pursuit of the ultimate high... catching 'em all. Childhood nostalgia is my drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment